"Kucinich for President"
by Wayne Spencer - May 10, 2003
It is not often when a candidate stands out in the crowd as does Dennis Kucinich. The last time I jumped onto a presidential candidate's bandwagon so early was for Jack Kennedy. Since that time I have been very cautious about who I support.
In the case of Dennis Kucinich I feel very strongly that he is the right candidate for the Democratic nomination. One of the things that I have learned to look for in a political candidate is consistency. Dennis has been very consistent throughout his political career. He has stood by his principles often when he could have scored political points by joining with the conventional wisdom of the day. Here are my reasons for supporting Congressman Kucinich:
- Consistency. When he ran for mayor of Cleveland, Ohio he promised voters that he would not privatize the city-owned power company even though the city was deep in debt. Keeping his promise lost him re-election. For more detail click here.
- Representative Kucinich steadfastly opposed the Bush administrations' planned unilateral invasion of Iraq and voted against the war resolution in Congress.
- After the invasion of Iraq, Dennis maintained his belief that the invasion was wrong. He has stated that the military victory in Iraq is a foreign policy failure.
- Congressman Kucinich has promised that as President he will take us away from fear and war.
- He will end tax giveaways.
- The peace dividend will be used for universal health care. He will end health care for profit.
- He has promised that he will stop the privatization of Social Security.
- He will role back the retirement age to sixty-five.
- He will cancel NAFTA and the WTO to bring back our manufacturing jobs.
- He will save the family farms.
- He will create full employment programs and create new jobs by rebuilding our cities and schools.
- He will repeal the dreaded and misnamed Patriot Act so that we can regain our right to privacy.
These choices will not bring Dennis Kucinich great amounts of campaign contributions from big business interests, the military industrial complex nor from the wealthy and greedy.
Because of his track record, I believe that Dennis Kucinich will live up to his campaign promises. For all of the above reasons plus the fact that my wife, whose judgement I respect, came to the same independent conclusion. I wholeheartedly endorse Dennis Kucinich for the Democratic presidential nomination.
To receive Wayne's e-mail commentarys click here
Copyright © 2003 by Wayne Spencer - This article may be freely distributed with this copyright notice attached.